Friday 6 December 2019

Turn 14 - Third Man on the 9F

On the Norfolks Lights Express, the 4MT and the 9F alternate every 10 days. After my turn on the 4MT last week, the 9F was now in service (it started yesterday). When I arrived on shed at 10:30 it had already been alight for an hour, the boiler was full and the hose was in the tender so there was little prep for me to do.


Climbing into the cab, my first job was to get the grime off the roof with some paraffin and rags:



I kept an eye on the fire as I worked.


We only need one paraffin lamp from the store on the NLE, it was already on board from yesterday; the train has two special white lamps that are in the shed on charge:

BR1G Tender

There was a fair bit of coal too. I closed the doors and pulled this forward. You don't need a coat for long even in the winter:

BR1G Tender

When you clean the cab roof it may not look like you are achieving much - unless you only do half of it...



Our first trip was to drive up to Bridge 299 (taking the Holt Road over the railway on Kelling Heath) to switch on the generators for the various woodland displays. This is a Light Engine movement starting with a turn in the Ground Frame, then a ride up the line to Averies Curve where we do a lot of climbing about to start the generators.

Next, it's down to Sheringham to hook on and warm the train, and have a late lunch. A lady came along with a film camera to have a chat with us today - I wonder if we will see ourselves on the telly?

Awful picture, sorry...


Our first trip was all about filling that huge firebox and getting the engine warm - it's a lesson for the next turns to get the engine hot during prep, especially on the bigger locos. On the second trip she was raring to go, even blowing off at one point.


As usual, I was on observation duty, calling out signals, coupling/uncoupling and operating the points at run around. We also fill the tender before leaving Sheringham for the second train and before disposal. I've got to find a better way of doing this in the dark as it takes both hands to hold the hose and leaves you holding the torch in your mouth...

I fired the Light Engine trip from Sheringham up to Bridge 299 & back to Weybourne for disposal. I shoveled enthusiastically (and dare I say quite accurately) on the way up and I was pleased that there was no loss of power, no low pressures and that I could top up boiler for most of the trip. I fired sparingly on way down and we arrived on shed with the boiler full, 200 on the clock and the fire very low - perfect. You want to turn up on shed with the boiler full, plenty of steam to do your disposal movements without touching the fire, and a low fire so that it doesn't make steam when you have left it alone. I had the dampers closed on the way back to keep it calm.

Watching Tony today and Phil the week before, I think my shovelling technique is improving - there is less clattering around the firehole, and more more coal in the right places.

Roll on next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment