Thursday 20 May 2021

Training - Weybourne Signal Box

As you know, part of my Cleaner-Passed Cleaner training is to spend some time in each of the signal boxes. The prerequisite of Weybourne is that there are two trains passing when you visit the box, to demonstrate how the tokens are operated with two trains in the station limits having come from, and about to enter, two different block sections.

I tried this on a Tuesday and we witnessed the light engine go down to Sheringham and the DMU come into the platform ready to go down to Sheringham as the second train - unfortunately, it failed in the platform and was hauled back onto the shed.


I went home and came back a couple of days later, where I was bombarded with questions by Signalman Chris. I'd arrived just before 10:00, just as the first up train was due to leave Sheringham; I must have convinced Chris that I knew what I was doing, as he had me set the road and the signals for the next couple of hours whilst he handles the bells and the token machines. I learnt a couple of things about this box - that the shunt signals at WB have to be cleared before main arms, whether the station is occupied or not (there is very little track circuiting at Weybourne), and that you can't signal two trains in at the same time - up token has to be replaced before down signals can be cleared.



No comments:

Post a Comment