Wednesday 30 June 2021

Firing Test - Are you ready?

After much deliberation, I’ve decided that I am going to put in for my firing test. I've been thinking about this for a while, talking to people and looking at past timetables, in terms of the service we usually offer through the year. I also talked to Operating Superintendent Peter about medicals, and I understand there is a bit of a waiting list.

Currently I have completed 28 third man turns and I am doing 4-5 per month. My confidence improves with every turn, and I think if I leave it until next year I will have to spend some time rebuilding that confidence after the winter break. Right now, if I were to take the test in two months’ time for example, I would be going into it with almost 40 third man turns, 60% more than I have done currently – then, I would have the rest of the season - until January - to continue training after my test. I'd have more yellow timetables plus the Norfolk Lights Express service to train on.

My option, and previous idea was to do the paperwork, interview and medical etc over the winter and leave the test until next season. If I do that, I will have a lot more turns under my belt - up to twice what I have now, potentially, but I will have to refresh myself after the winter break - possibly taking the test in April or May at the earliest. That's a possibility - it's not a race.

Right now, I have everything on my training schedule is signed off with the exception of ‘driver incapacitated’ - where you have to pretend that the driver cannot carry on with his duties and you are between stations, having to drive & fire at the same time, to bring the train safely to a standstill at the next station. I’ve got a turn with Inspector Nick mid-July and I think I will ask him to take me through that!

Meanwhile, my application is in.

As far as I am aware, I have a number of things to do:
  • pass the medical for safety-critical staff
  • pass an oral examination on engine theory, rules and regulations
  • pass three written papers on Footplate Rules, Route Knowledge and Fireman’s Theory which are open book examinations completed in your own time
  • undergo one or two full days on the shovel with a firing inspector
  • pass a firing test with an inspector
When I've done that, I will be upgraded to 'Passed Cleaner' - that is, a cleaner who is deemed fit to roster as a fireman. I will be expected to fire on my own for ten turns and I will be able to roster as a fireman at galas; I will also be eligible to train as a full Fireman, which will allow me to drive occasionally and to start driver training - but that is getting ahead of ourselves!




No comments:

Post a Comment