Monday 21 March 2022

Turn 85 - Third Man on the 9F

 We are nearing the end of March, the weather is warming up and today was the first day that I didn't need the yard lights. It's 06:00 and Fitter Alan and myself have signed on with two new Cleaners Brad and Tom, along with Passed Cleaner Lewis. The 9F is warm, having been out on a Driver Experience the previous day so we set about preparing it for service.

With the smokebox and firebox clean, Lewis lights up and with Passed Fireman Christian we are soon on the pit where we drop a very full ash pan - this coal makes a lot of ash apparently, as the pan will have been cleaned last night.

Cleaner Brad and I clear the pit ready for the loco to come back on and blow down. I go and get changed.

Since both Christian and Lewis have both done less than ten turns in their current grade, they are obliged by the Rule Book to make the first trip with no footplate passengers - i.e. no distractions - until they are happy with each other. I take my breakfast on the cushions for the first trip up.

Fortunately, Lewis has more than five turns in-grade so he's not obliged to fire all day, and I take over the shovel on the second trip down. I fill a few holes and remind myself how to operate the injectors, but I don't have to do much.

Back at Sheringham, we run around and take on tea and sandwiches while I build the fire for the next train. Having re-read my notes on this loco, I know I am prone to leaving holes in the corners just short of the front so I make sure I have a decent coverage here, leaving a pressure-controlling hole in the middle, as many do, until reprimanded by driver Christian. Whilst a lot of folk do this, the down side of no fire is that you can't re-light this area quickly, whereas if you keep it very thin it can make heat on demand, when you want it. I keep it covered for the rest of the day.

By the time we are ready to go I have a full glass, a blazing fire and around 220 psi on the clock and we sail out of the station and over the crossing with no further attention, until we get to the top of Dead Man's where I put a round on and top up. 

As a result, I'm being very careful with it while we wait the six minutes at Weybourne!

On the fourth up, I take it a bit easier and go up at around 200, arriving at about 180 psi, which is much more relaxed and is helped by Fireman Lewis pulling down some decent sized lumps from the tenderful of dusty coal. I'm so relaxed in fact that I forget myself and get distracted chatting to a spectator at Weybourne, and while I see the guard give the 'right away' I don't announce it to the driver - who has to ask. Black mark right there.

Next, it's run around and back up to shed. I've been keeping the footplate pretty clean and I try to arrive on shed with as little to do as possible. There's very little fire left and Lewis, who drives the Light Engine back up the hill, is gentle on the regulator.

I've got the water well up in the glass and have no problem with the level when we are on the pit. The fire cleans easily, but the pan needs Lewis and Christian underneath prodding the ash to get it out and into the pit.

So, another turn comes to a close. That will be it until the Spring Steam Gala cleaning day in a couple of weeks, followed by the gala weekend itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment