Friday 26 August 2022

Turn 111 - Firing the 4MT

Wednesday marked a return to normal service - up at 05:00 for a trip to Weybourne, to prepare loco 76084, the BR Standard 4MT and take it out for the day with Driver Ed.

GWR tank loco 4270 has been delivered for the gala - but the gala has been postponed. It's here until 40's weekend, so perhaps I will get to look at it?

The 4MT hasn't been out since washout, but it was in steam in the yard all day yesterday so was quite warm - but there was nothing much in the smokebox. I dropped the fire in the pan and had a look around the firebox before lighting up - I am putting a lot more wood on these days and it went easily, with little smoke.

There's a tender full of water from yesterday, 3500 gallons, despite the fact that the tender water gauge only shows 3000 - it's a temporary one apparently. I cleaned the boiler barrel and the cab while tending the fire, but Loco B, the Y14 was behind us and went on the pit first.

Driver Ed took a break while we waited.


We dropped a bit of ash in the pit but there was no need to clean the pan out and I hooked on to the Y14 for us to go down to Sheringham together. We stopped at the West box for them to unhook and go on to their train, but we waited a while for ours - Carriage & Wagon were working on the train brakes.

Our first trip up was a bit underwhelming - the boiler pressure was down to 160 psi as we drew into Weybourne to drop off the shed crew breakfast, and I was short of water, because I was short of heat. I took a bit of time to warm it up before we left, with some blower and a lot of coal but I should have put a lot more on in Sheringham and at Dead Man's - Ed's quite enthusiastic with steam and the loco was cold.

The first half of the second trip was much better but it was too light in the back. I fixed that at Weybourne and we went up at 210 psi, arriving with 3/4 glass.

The third trip was perfect. I fired the front and back much more heavily than usual, but there were no blow offs - in fact none all day. I even fired over the baffle at one point! 

Back in Sheringham, we get ready to run around and Driver Ed asked if I would like to take the next one up - of course I would! Why would I miss a driving opportunity? Past experience of driving the Y14 on a train, and the 37 on a train told me that I need to keep eagle-eyes on the vacuum gauge, because over-braking will be my downfall.

I hooked on, and then with about five minutes to go I put the steam brake fully on and moved the large ejector lever to the vertical position, to see it create 21” Hg on the vacuum gauge. The train was now held on the loco brake and the Guard could do his brake continuity test. The cylinder drain cocks were open, as we had been sitting there for 20 minutes or so, and when the Signalman cleared the Platform Starter and the Section Starter, I set the reverser to 70% of full forward gear.

Driver Ed told me that when the whistle comes I could let the steam brake off first, as the tender brakes take a while to come off. That done, I shut the cocks, give a quick toot on the whistle and set the regulator to 60 psi, and we slid gracefully out of the station.

I've got to thank S&T Volunteer Mick Ladner for this picture - the only one of me driving a train that I have seen.

I notched up to 60% almost straight away and we gently accelerated up to 10 mph, the speed limit on the crossover, as Driver Ed fired. Going past the West box, the train picked up speed and we rolled steadily over the crossing.

I opened the regulator a bit more to get up to line speed as we completed the 1 in 333 and started the ascent to Dead Man’s. Cresting the hill, I shut off, set the reverser to 20% for coasting and brought the brake pressure up to 15” to test the brakes and get a feel for their action - much more than 15” produces a significant slowing effect, helping me to know what to expect.

With the cut-off back up to 50%, I opened up for the 1 in 80 up to Weybourne, shutting off at the Up Home signal so the hill would knock the speed back, to achieve the 10 mph limit at the crossover. I was back on the brake lever at the footbridge, slowing the train further and hovering around 14-15” Hg. Driver Ed had told me to stop on a ‘rising brake’, that is, with the vacuum increasing towards 21”. Doing this allows the remaining vacuum further down the train to bring the coaches to a stop but prevents a sudden jolt - the whole train appears to glide to a stop. You can then apply the brake fully.

Very satisfying.

After another smooth start at Weybourne we arrived at Holt with another steady stop, but now we needed to unhook and we would have to squeeze up. Winding the reverser to 70% full back gear, I gave the regulator a tiny nudge and shut it immediately, applying the steam brake.

I unhooked, having left the regulator closed, the reverser in full back gear and the steam cocks open, and we ran around.

Coming back onto the train I let a whiff of regulator get us moving at a walking pace, applying full steam brake as the buffers made contact - which was nothing like as gentle as the last time I did this, on the Y14. I’ll have to check that out.

I’ve realised over the past few weeks that I make mistakes in the afternoons, and that it’s down to hunger. I stopped for a sandwich and some more tea.

For the trip down, Driver Ed reminded me that you don’t get any time allowed for stops at Kelling, so once we had cleared the station limits I got up to line speed again, slowing for Aviaries. I was careful to keep the speed under control coming down the hill and made a successful stop in the right place at Weybourne.

Down in Sheringham, we had arranged to use the ‘extended stop’ - that is, to be allowed to pass the fixed Stop Board at Sheringham East, because the RO required the 2-car DMU to come in to platform 1 behind us. Since this would need some precise stopping, as we slowed for the West box Driver Ed and I changed places and I resumed the fireman’s role, stoking up and adding water ready for the next run.

After taking water at Sheringham, we returned Light Engine to Weybourne where we were relieved by Driver Foz & Fireman Jim, for the evening Fish & Chip service.


Another great day on the railway, with much learned. It was clear, especially watching Driver Ed fire the 4th, that you can make a deep bed with a lot of heat in it which will sustain the boiler pressure for a long time - his trip was steady at 210 from start to finish. So put more coal in Fireman Holyfield! He also fired on the hills, regardless of whether I had the regulator open or not, but the water levels were lower than I usually run with.

Interesting and highly enjoyable stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment