Wednesday 19 August 2020

Turn 27 - Steamraising on the Y14, and pottering about the yard

Today, I'm Cleaner 1, it's a two train day and Loco A is the Y14. I feel I'm getting a bit more experience on this now and Fireman Joe is taking the cleaner's job and keeping a trainer's eye on me as I do the fireman's tasks. She's been in service for a week or so and is warm, with the gauge just off the stop. 

Checking the firebox reveals no nasties, though Loco B's fireman Sid tells us the rear fusible plug had been leaking the previous day so we recheck it - but all is well. I move the to the smokebox to sweep it out, which is very easy as it is so small and has a flat floor. Returning to the firebox, I lift out the flame scoop and climb in with my jemmy, torch and brush. I use the jemmy to lift out two firebars and brush the ash into the pan.

Lighting up is simple - a layer of coal, a layer of wood and rags and a layer of patience. It's not long before we see 10 psi on the clock and I open the blower. Some while later, Joe asks whether I have looked at the chimney and I instinctively check the firehole door - which is shut. The chimney is showing dark smoke, so the coal has burned off most of the heavy sulphurous compounds but that is not the point - the smoke is all coming from one side of the chimney. This means that the fire is not burning consistently across the grate - possibly there is a hole on the side with no smoke. In fact, there is no hole but I have fired to one side and the smoke-free side needs some coal.

Next, we need to do some fireman's checks:
  • oil bottles - present and full, and the steam oil bottle on the warming plate
  • two red flags in the locker
  • burns kit on board
  • two gauge glasses and seals
  • water bucket filled
  • tender tank full
  • lamps fitted and working
Having completed the cab roof windows and the brass, Driver Josh is ready to go onto the pit - but I have only 50 psig in the boiler. Joe suggests I put a bit more on to bring it round - I shovel on a round of coal, selecting small pieces, then I fully open the blower and the damper another notch. In no time, I have 100 psi on the clock.

We roll back to ash out and take on coal, and I head off to the ground frame to let the loco out of the yard.


I take a break for a sandwich while the crew go and change. I take a few pictures for my records.







Not too much left to do now - we spent the rest of the day clearing up the oil store and chopping some wood, before disposing the 9F




No comments:

Post a Comment