Saturday 16 July 2022

Turn 104 - Cleaning the Y14, YDC, and yet more trimmings

Saturday dawns and its up at 05:00 for a cleaning turn and NNRYDC day. We've a full crew on shed today with Duty Fitter Alex, me and Cleaner Oliver alongside Third Man Brad, and joining us later, Driver Andy and Fireman Carl. I enjoy cleaning turns, and try to do one per month and make it coincide wit Youth Development Club day, which is always fun. 

My plan today is to make some more trimmings for stock after the loco has gone out, as I know that the Y14 axle box trimmings are needing regular replacement for some reason - they are coming out with their tails missing.

Third Man Brad lights up, and after I have put the hose in the tender I start polishing; Cleaner Oliver starts on the boiler.


With four of us working, the loco looks excellent when there is enough steam for her to go on the pit. Fireman Carl releases the handbrake:


On the pit, Carl and Brad attend to the tender axle boxes:


It's a hot day, and the Y14 is getting two buckets of bituminous coal, Oliver and I gat out of the way while coal dust settles on our lovely polished paint:


A second bucket goes in. The Y14 will do four trips on the red service, plus two more on the evening dining train.


The heap needs trimming to make sure none of it falls off and causes an injury:


The Class 37 is hauling the second set today - the DMU is in the shop with a damaged head gasket.


Breakfast comes up on the first train. There's bacon, sausage and egg, with tomatoes, mushrooms and a cup of coffee from the station buffet - the shed mess room is out of milk...


IT's about 10:45, the YDC are here but they are busy cleaning the Class 08, painting the Low-Mac and chopping wood. I start my trimmings by making some 3-strand, 6 leg tail type trimmings. The wires that have been in use are are much too long - I take 1/2" out of most of them and make up more than two sets for the Y14:


It's almost 14:00 by the time I am done:


My next turn is on a few days time, and it will be my first turn on a diesel - Second Man on the Class 25. A new adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment