Saturday 23 July 2022

Turn 106 - Second Man on the Class 20

 Still in the heat wave and we have another Second Man turn with Driver Peter and Observer Andy, this time on the Class 20.


Here's a new experience - fuelling a diesel - we take on 500 litres for the 48 miles we will be doing today; judging by the 1 mpg we did on the Class 31, that will be plenty.


We did four round trips today, sharing the Second Man role with Observer Andy. I started the day doing observing, signals and the tablet exchange on my side while Andy did hooking on and tablet on his side - the Class 20 cab is not so spacious, and we swapped for the third and fourth trips, with me supervising. This was good training for dealing with a Third Man on steam.


Unfortunately, a problem with the braking system - rising vacuum when either driver valve was in the full service position prevented Driver Peter and I swapping sides during the day...


The driver's view shows you why you need a second man on this loco:


At the end of the day, Peter offered me a drive, Light Engine, from Sheringham to Weybourne Yard. I could get used to this!


No comments:

Post a Comment