Wednesday 24 May 2023

Turn 136 - Firing the Y14

 A return to normal this week, with a firing turn on the newly repaired Y14. There's lots of action in the yard - the 9F & 4MT are being prepared for steam test, Third Man Ben has lit up our Y14, and the DMU is waiting it's driver.

In the shop, the WD has been stripped and is waiting for attention from the boiler shop - there is a leak near the throat plate:


A pile of new tubes have arrived for the S&DJR 7F, so that is well on the way to returning to service too:


Third Man Ben has done all the hard work lighting up the Y14, so I leave him to raise steam and go and polish the boiler. We are ready very quickly and move on to the pit, where he shines up the smoke box and I work on the tender:


Ben's done five or six third man turns so we have a chat about what firing he's done and agree that he will do the second & third, and I will do the first and fourth. 

I fire down to Sheringham for our breakfast, and then fire the first up. We are short of water at Bridge at 299, because I've not fired enough on the hill.


Ben fires the 2nd and 3rd, and I make sure that he doesn't fall into the same trap, though firing on the hill drops the pressure somewhat. You have to be quick!

He makes a great job of it.


I fire the 4th trip, romping up the hill by heavily firing as we leave Dead Man's and Weybourne and keeping the water on for longer. The departure from Weybourne is a bit traumatic with a lot of wheel slip. The guard resets the train brake cylinders when we arrive at Holt and the run back down is much easier. Coming into Holt we realise that the hydrostatic lubricator has run out of oil - fortunately I was watching it. We refill it after watering.

Back in Sheringham, I prepare to fire back to shed, but Driver John gives up his seat and I drive back Light Engine.

An excellent day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment